К основному контенту

Social Media Is Calling Scorsese's "THE IRISHMAN" Boring... Prometheus Has A Theory! (SPOILER FREE)

Very definitely the best streamable original of the year.

Read the full article on AICN

Hey guys, Prometheus here to talk about “THE IRISHMAN!” (Yes, I do watch things other than horror!)
Martin Scorsese's "THE IRISHMAN" is a masterpiece. Period. It's a throwback to when films relied on acting and a tight story to keep your ass in the seat. I watched it the other night, and I was blown away by how damn good the film actually is. It was so good, that I was baffled to see people on social media calling it boring.

Look, I get it... "THE IRISHMAN" is a three and a half hour, dialogue-driven film with scarce action sequences. The spectacle of it is the actual performance of the actors. Which leads me to my point...
Have we become so used to high-end special effects and giant CGI explosions on the screen that we can no longer enjoy an in-depth character study with more nuanced and intimate performances? Is a strong actor with a phenomenal script no longer enough to hold our attention, without the "oohs and awes" of a major Hollywood blockbuster? Does one take away from the other, or can they co-exist? Hypothetical question. 

Maybe I'm kicking a dead horse here, but I don't agree with Mr. Scorsese and his stance that Marvel films are not cinema.  Yet, after seeing some of the reactions to his new film I can't help but understand his position. The art of telling a moving and deeply human story that touches audiences has been overshadowed by the art of "blowing shit up."
I like a good

Finish the article on AICN

Ain't It Cool News Feed https://ift.tt/2R3WKWx November 30, 2019 at 05:46AM

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Contemporary Chinese Cinema: Shunji Iwai’s Letters from Shanghai

Contemporary Chinese Cinema  is a column devoted to exploring contemporary Chinese-language cinema primarily as it is revealed to us at North American multiplexes. The sneakiest major release of the year is surely the latest from Japanese director Shunji Iwai, whose new movie opens this Friday at a dozen multiplexes around North America courtesy of the distributor China Lion Film. Last Letter is Iwai’s first film made in China, and stars Zhou Xun, who starred in one of last year’s best films, Ann Hui’s Our Time Will Come , which was also distributed here by China Lion. That he would be working in a new country is no surprise: Iwai is one of the more eclectic filmmakers of his generation: having started in TV and video in the early 90s before moving into film, he’s since made documentaries and music videos, science fiction films and anime, epics of modern alienation and ravishingly romantic odes to the wonders of youth and love. His last film, Chang-ok’s Letter , was an hour-long...

Listen Up

Incandescent indie, reflective hip-hop, jangly post-punk and more genre-bending tunes from the week Juletta + Ishan: Gut Feeling Juletta + Ishan’s “Gut Feeling” is best described through its beautiful contradictions: haunting and luminescent, smooth and uneasy, buoyant and weighty. Written and produced by both artists, the track appears on the NYC-based duo’s debut album, If I Never Hit Land (out this Friday), which is based … COOL HUNTING® https://ift.tt/35p5Vqj October 18, 2020 at 01:03PM

Listen Up

House music for those missing the sweaty dance floor, psych-tinged lounge, industrial electro-pop and more new music Solomun: Home From Hamburg-based DJ and producer Solomun (aka Mladen Solomun), sweeping house track “Home” exists as an ode to the “sacred rooms” that were built for music. For those yearning for a sweaty, dark dance floor, this nostalgic and atmospheric banger offers some satisfaction—albeit in your own … COOL HUNTING® https://ift.tt/3dWfZe1 October 25, 2020 at 01:03PM